On October 29, 1915 a mass meeting was held in the auditorium. After crismon blankets with the High School monogram were presented to the football team. This monogram is one of the oldest logos known to date used for Port Huron High School.
During this era Port Huron High School begins to issue the well known interlocking “PH” as an athletic letter for time in service. In the 1905 yearbook it is stated which members will receive the block letters and caps. Team photos often were taken with members donning their beloved sweaters while newcomers were without. These sweaters should not be confused with the actual uniforms worn on field.
Another important development of this time was the idea of recognition of time in service. In 1908 a committee was formed to choose eleven players to receive red and white sweaters. The players were players who have played in the majority of the games. This would be the precursor to the modern Athletic Varsity Letter.
1909 Port Huron High School Football Team with Varsity Sweaters
1909 Port Huron High School Football Team playing in uniform.
In 1951 students began to discuss the idea of adding separate letters for each major sport. Prior to this era, athletes one letter per year despite the number of sports they participated in. Also students wanted a way to signify for which sport they earned each letter. In the 1950s stores were beginning to sell varsity jackets and this was becoming more popular than the sweaters. This started a controversy with the student of the Varsity Club as any student could go to the store and buy a varsity jacket. This also was a transition from the PH club to the Varsity Club. Letters were also awarded during era for activities such as band.